Thursday, February 10, 2011

Response to Test #1

Although the test was very challenging, after looking back over sapling I realized the percentage of problems from each section mimicked that of the test. The only problems on the test I do not believe we had experienced before were questions 18 and 20. In those, we had to write the molecular ion and any other important peaks(due to fragments or M+1, M+2) for five different compounds written in C10H14N2 form instead of in the structural form. Due to the multiple examples of determining the number of unique CNMR and HNMR signals for compounds as in problems 15 and 16 on sapling I had expected another one of those problems on the test. We did receive a HNMR question of similarity but not a CNMR question.

Going back to the molecular ion and important peak question I could have figured it out with a few more minutes of time but because of the other time consuming  questions on the test I could not. Over all I believe the difficulty of the test did not match the test restraint we were given. I barely finished writing the last question before the 50 minute time period expired and could not adequately answer them. But I do understand we are in a very advanced college science course so the difficultly is expected. 

1 comment:

  1. Kevin, I completely agree with the explanation from the first examination. After experiencing the first exam, I also wondered about the questions containing the important peaks and having to draw them. There wasn't that much practice or examples to help figure the answer out. Having more time for these types of questions is needed however we are in an advanced class, as you added. I also know that I could've answered these questions thoroughly on the exam if I would've had more time. Also there were multiple types of questions on sapling concerning the CNMR and HNMR signals and only a few on the exam. I understand that there were only a few questions on the exam, however there were a few things on there that we weren't really expecting. Thank you for pointing out the questions that I also had concerning some of the problems concerning the test. By the way congrats on your test grade.

    ReplyDelete